Move over, classic French toast, there’s a new dish in town. This savory sourdough French toast is perfect for those mornings where you just aren’t in the mood for a sweet breakfast. Tangy sourdough bread meets cheesy, eggy goodness for a breakfast that is sure to satisfy.
Why I Love this Recipe
Don’t get me wrong, I love a classic sweet French toast. It’s a lovely breakfast or brunch treat! But sometimes you’re just not in the mood for a sweet breakfast. Savory French toast to the rescue!
This savory take on the classic French toast tastes lovely with sourdough bread. The slight tang of the sourdough balances the saltiness and richness of the rest of the ingredients perfectly.
Plus, this recipe is SO easy to make and is totally customizable.
Is French toast healthy?
It can be! When you stop and think about it, French toast is essentially all of the classic breakfast components (eggs, bread, milk) remixed. I wouldn’t call classic French toast with syrup a “health food,” but it sure is nourishing.
This savory sourdough French toast is a great option for folks trying to cut down on their sugar intake. Instead of using syrup, you can top this French toast whatever savory ingredients you like, including veggies, cheese, and meat.
And a gorgeous runny egg is kinda like syrup, right?
Detailed Preparation Steps
For the full recipe with ingredient amounts, scroll down to the recipe card!
Choosing the best bread
You might be wondering, does sourdough make good French toast? The answer is yes. I find that sourdough is a bit more hardy and flavorful than your traditional white bread or brioche, which lends itself well to a savory recipe like this.
If you don’t have sourdough bread around, that’s okay! This recipe can be made with whatever type of bread you have on hand. A grainy wheat bread or even rye would be tasty!
Make your egg batter + soak
A good egg batter is essential for soft and eggy French toast. To make egg batter, you’ll need milk or cream and eggs. For a savory twist, add salt, pepper, mustard powder, and parmesan cheese.
Here’s my secret to a more effective soak—after you whip up your egg batter, place your slices of bread in a large baking dish, then pour the egg mixture over the bread slices. So much better than dipping.
Soak your French toast until it absorbs most of the egg batter, about 5 minutes.
Once you’ve soaked your bread, heat a large frying pan (I’d recommend non-stick) over medium heat and add 1-2 tablespoons of oil. (You can also use butter, but I’ve found it sticks more than oil.)
Add your sourdough French toast slices to the pan in small batches and flip when golden brown. If your French toast is stuck to the pan, just carefully slide your spatula underneath to loosen it. You might lose a few crumbly bits but that’s okay.
Once both sides are golden brown, it’s time to eat!
For the veggie version mentioned in the recipe card, add sliced or mashed avocado, tomato slices, and leafy greens, then top with a fried egg.
This is totally optional, but you can add a slice of cheese on top of your French toast before removing it from the pan. Add a lid to melt it.
The cheese version tastes amazing with a slice of ham and a fried egg!
- To make this sourdough French toast vegan – swap the chicken eggs for JUST egg, swap any butter for coconut oil or vegan butter, and use unsweetened non-dairy milk like almond milk
- Dairy-free version – Follow the vegan instructions above, but feel free to use chicken eggs
- Use different toppings – The sky is the limit with savory toppings! Try mushrooms + goat cheese, pesto + tomato + mozzarella, or bacon + cheddar.
Savory Sourdough French Toast
- large frying pan
- large baking dish
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ tsp ground mustard
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup half and half
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 6 slices sourdough bread
- 1 tbsp oil (canola or avocado)
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ small avocado (sliced)
- 1 medium tomato (sliced)
- ½ cup arugula
- In a large mixing bowl or measuring cup, add 4 eggs, ground mustard, salt, pepper, half and half, and parmesan cheese. Whisk vigorously until completely combined.
- Arrange 6 slices of sourdough bread in a single layer in a large baking dish. Pour egg mixture over the bread and soak until absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add soaked bread to the hot pan in a single layer, working in batches if needed. Flip when golden brown and fry until the other side is also golden brown. Remove to a plate and cover with foil to keep it warm.
- In the same frying pan, add more butter if needed, melt, and once simmering, crack 3 eggs into the pan to fry. Cook over medium heat until the whites are set.
- Top 2 slices of French toast with avocado slices, tomato slices, arugula, and a fried egg.
- Please note that nutrition facts are an estimate and can vary widely based on amounts and specific types used.
- Feel free to add any savory toppings that you like! Try mushrooms + goat cheese, pesto + tomato + mozzarella, or bacon + cheddar, or ham + swiss.