Let’s make the quickest steamed broccoli ever! All you need are a few simple ingredients and a pressure cooker to make this lemony Instant Pot broccoli. It’s the perfect side dish recipe for when you’re short on time but don’t want to skimp on flavor or nutrition.
Reasons to Love This Recipe
We all know broccoli is nutritious, but it can be tasty too. You don’t have to settle for bland, mushy broccoli!
Lemon pepper, garlic, and fresh lemon juice give this Instant Pot broccoli recipe some much-needed pizazz.
Did I mention this recipe takes virtually zero time or effort to make? Seriously… This recipe calls for setting the Instant Pot timer for zero minutes. All you need to do is wait for the pressure cooker to come to pressure and BOOM – perfectly tender steamed broccoli.
No more waiting around for broccoli to roast or steam. We have things to do.
Why is broccoli so healthy? Here are some of the benefits it gives you:
- Fiber for better digestion
- Vitamin C for healthy immunity
- Vitamin A for your eyes
- Potassium for blood pressure control
- Iron for healthy blood cells
- Folate for building healthy cells
The list goes on… but you get the picture! This particular broccoli recipe is also great for heart-healthy diets because it’s low in sodium.
How to Keep Broccoli Green
If adding lemon to your steamed broccoli, do this right before eating. If you add lemon juice too soon, it will make the broccoli brown and mushy. (Not ideal.)
Why is that? Chemistry!
Let me explain…
Green vegetables like broccoli get their color from a plant compound found within their cell walls called chlorophyll. When acidic compounds react with chlorophyll, they turn it brown. This can happen when you overcook green veggies (as prolonged cooking causes natural acids found within plant foods to leach out) or when you add vinegar or lemon juice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Make sure to release the pressure in your pressure cooker right away and immediately rinse with cold water. This “shocks” the broccoli and prevents further cooking.
Don’t add acidic ingredients (like lemon juice) too early or overcook your broccoli. This will help the broccoli retain its bright green color.
Lemony Instant Pot Broccoli
- pressure cooker
- steamer basket or trivet
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp lemon pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp olive oil
- fresh lemon juice to taste
- Add steamer basket or trivet to the pressure cooker's inner pot. Add ½ cup water. Add broccoli florets to the steamer basket. Put the lid on the pressure cooker and seal.
- Set the pressure to manual mode on high pressure, then set the timer for 0 minutes. (Yep, you read that correctly!) The pressure cooker will take some time to come to pressure (about 10 minutes) but as soon as the timer goes off, do a quick release of the pressure valve.
- Using oven mitts or a towel to grip, carefully remove the inner pot and rinse the broccoli briefly under cold water.
- Scoop the broccoli into a serving bowl and add lemon pepper, garlic powder, and olive oil to taste. Gently toss, serve, and add a generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice to each serving.
- If you are making this recipe ahead of time or for meal prep, don’t add the lemon juice until immediately before eating.
- Please note that nutrition facts are an estimate and can vary widely based on amounts and specific types used.