If I can’t have key lime pie on a regular basis (not financially feasible, y’all) at least I can have a smoothie that reminds me of it. This key lime green smoothie is full of tart lime flavor and packed with protein and greens, making it perfect for a little morning boost.
Aside from tasting great, this smoothie has a lot going for it in the nutrition department. It contains a hearty serving of greens and is high in protein thanks to lime yogurt and protein powder.
Protein helps us build and maintain healthy muscles and tissues, it modestly boosts metabolism and keeps us full and satisfied.
Your protein needs depend on factors that include your age and physical activity level. Most Americans consume adequate amounts of protein (typically 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight). Here’s the thing – adequate intake is not always the same as optimal. If you’re struggling with managing hunger, cravings, or your muscle mass, enough protein can help.
Getting Your Greens
On an average day, most of us don’t meet our veggie needs. It’s easiest to add a cup or two of veggies into lunch or dinner, but it’s not as easy to do that at breakfast. Instead of chomping down on some celery on your way to work — sorry, no thanks — drink your veggies!
I’ll admit it, sometimes blended greens can taste a bit like grass. Luckily, I have a way around that. Adding flavorful mix-ins is a must for any green smoothie. This recipe uses tart, flavored yogurt and fresh lime juice to balance out any bitterness from the greens. It ended up tasting like a key lime pie, which I am totally here for.
How to Blend this Smoothie Like a Pro
I usually make smoothies in single-servings, so the recipe below is for one serving. Simply add the ingredients to a personal-sized blender and blend until smooth.
If you’d like to serve a crowd, just multiply the smoothie recipe as needed and use a full-sized blender. I personally use a Ninja blender. I love that it gives me the option to use a large or single-serving blender depending on how many people want to drink smoothies with me!
- Make it vegan and/or dairy-free – Use a vegan protein powder and dairy-free yogurt. (This key lime coconut milk yogurt from SO Delicious would be perfect.)
- Use another flavor of yogurt – If you can’t find lime yogurt, that’s okay! Coconut, vanilla, or plain yogurt would also work.
- Use another type of milk – Use any plain or vanilla-flavored milk that you prefer. Be sure to choose non-dairy though – the lime juice in this recipe would taste weird with dairy milk.
- Add more green color – Add another handful of greens. If your blender is small like mine and you plan on adding things to your smoothie, you might need to opt for a full-size blender.
- Make it without added sweeteners – Working on cutting down on added sugar? Try this recipe with unsweetened almond milk and unsweetened plain yogurt.
- Add sweetness – If you prefer more sweetness in your smoothies, use sweetened almond milk or add a teaspoon of agave or honey.
Key Lime Power Green Smoothie
- Add ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. That's it!
- Please note that nutrition facts are an estimate and can vary widely based on amounts and specific types used.
- FYI – Using a different protein powder (like a plant-based one) can negatively affect the texture of this smoothie.