There’s nothing wrong with a little bit of snacking, but, have you ever felt like you just couldn’t stop once you started snacking? Maybe it wasn’t you… it may have been your snack choice. Never fear! I put together my favorite ideas for filling snacks that will actually keep you satisfied.
I don’t know about you, but I’ve been feeling more in the mood for snacks lately than usual. When snack cravings hit, it can be really easy to keep munching and go overboard if the snack you choose is tasty but not very filling. (Looking at you, potato chips and candy, you delicious little things.)
That’s because most snacks don’t contain a lot of the nutrients that keep us full, especially protein and fiber. But, if you know my secret for choosing filling snacks, you’ll have a lot better luck satisfying your snack cravings quickly.
The Recipe for a Filling Snack
Are you ready? This is seriously the secret…
protein + fiber = a satisfying snack EVERY time
Yep – that’s it! Protein and fiber are some of the most satiating nutrients (i.e. they keep you full) — but why is that?
Why Protein Makes You Feel Full
Digesting foods that contain protein stimulates one of our “fullness hormones” (peptide YY, to be exact) and suppresses our “hungry hormone” ghrelin.
Why Fiber Makes You Feel Full
Fiber physically fills up our stomachs and can slow down digestion.⠀
Satisfying Snack Ideas with Protein and Fiber
These options all include fiber and protein. Keep in mind that many foods that contain protein also contain fat. (Nuts, nut butter, eggs, etc.) That’s okay. Fat helps us feel more satisfied too. The point here is to make sure that you have a mix of nutrients present in your snack.
- Apple + almond butter
- Yogurt parfait (low-sugar yogurt + fruit + sliced almonds)
- Snap peas + hummus
- Bell peppers + roasted red pepper hummus
- Carrots + hummus
- Cheese slices + mixed raw veggies
- Celery + peanut butter
- Trail mix (mixed unsalted nuts + dried cranberries)
- Hard-boiled egg + orange
- Roasted chickpeas
- Protein bar + grapes
- Fiber bar + low-sugar yogurt
- Edamame (dry roasted or steamed)
- Whole-grain toast topped with peanut butter + 1/4 sliced banana
- Yogurt-covered blueberries
- Dates + peanut butter
- Berry protein smoothie
- Mango protein smoothie
- Cottage cheese + strawberries
- Loaded avocado toast with a soft-boiled egg
- Tuna packet + whole-grain crackers
- Whole grain toast topped with hummus, sliced turkey, and sliced tomato
Need more snack ideas? Use the list below to create your own snack with fiber and protein!