Need a quick, low-effort side dish recipe? These garlicky baby potatoes have you covered. Just toss with your favorite spices, air fry to perfection, and you’ll have perfectly tender, flavorful potatoes that will compliment just about any dish.
Reasons to Love This Recipe
This recipe is the perfect side dish for an effortless weeknight meal. If you buy pre-washed baby potatoes – I use The Little Potato Company – there is no washing or chopping required.
You won’t need to use much kitchen equipment for this recipe – just season your potatoes in a bowl and cook in the air fryer. That means minimal cleanup and hands-on time. I’d call that a win.
Aside from being quick and easy to make, this recipe tastes divine. The potatoes have a smooth, velvety texture inside, with flavorful and tender skin.
Plus, this recipe is customizable with your favorite spices.
Potatoes and other carb-rich foods need a new PR team. Low-carb devotees often villainize these foods, but they can be quite nutritious.
Carbs aren’t just empty calories, they provide us with fuel! Plus, plant foods like potatoes are also packed with helpful micronutrients.
Potatoes are one of the best sources of potassium, a nutrient that helps regulate your blood pressure. In short, potassium works against sodium in your blood vessels to lower your blood pressure – pretty cool! Plus, most Americans get too much sodium in their diet and not enough potassium.
This recipe is so simple! Start by preheating your air fryer, then add oil and seasoning to your potatoes and toss to coat. Add the seasoned potatoes to your air fryer basket, then air fry until the potatoes are fork-tender.
Seasoning to perfection
Be a bit aggressive with your seasoning. Since the potato centers don’t take on seasoning, the skin should be extra flavorful. The seasoning will stick better and coat more evenly if it is added after the potatoes are coated with a thin layer of oil.
Perfectly tender potatoes
Since the air fryer is so much smaller than an oven and constantly circulates hot air, it will cook your potatoes quickly.
The potatoes give off a little whistle as they cook. (I think it sounds like a scream but it’s kind of cute.) When the skin on your potatoes is a bit wrinkly and you can easily pierce the flesh with a fork, they’re done!
You can ensure even cooking by tossing your air fryer basket a few times, but if you forget, your potatoes will still get cooked.
Frequently Asked Questions
To make a balanced dish, serve baby potatoes with your favorite protein and a non-starchy vegetable. Some examples include seared salmon + green beans, baked chicken + broccoli, grilled steak + salad.
In the air fryer, the potatoes will cook in about 20 minutes. In the oven, they can take 20-30 minutes. Check their doneness by piercing with a fork. The skin should be a bit wrinkly and the flesh will be extremely soft.
Potatoes get a bad rap, but they’re a very nutritious food! Potatoes are packed with potassium and contain fiber, too. (The skin contains a bit of extra fiber, so if you like it, try eating your potatoes with the skin on!)
- Make with chopped potatoes instead – If you don’t have baby potatoes, this recipe can also be made with any type of roughly chopped potatoes.
- Use different spices – This recipe is customizable with whatever your favorite spices are. Some ideas: turmeric + black pepper, lemon pepper, Cajun seasoning, paprika + cayenne + chili, rosemary + thyme.
- Try a different oil – I used avocado oil spray for this recipe, but other oils will work too. Olive oil, coconut oil, or canola oil can be swapped in.
- Oven version – No air fryer, no problem! This recipe can also be modified for the oven. Preheat your oven to 425°F, coat your potatoes with oil and spices, then spread them on a large baking sheet and roast for 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are fork-tender.
Garlicky Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- air fryer
- 3 lbs baby potatoes
- 1 tbs avocado oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F. Place potatoes in a large bowl, add avocado oil, and toss to coat, then add salt, garlic powder, dried parsley, and pepper.
- Add seasoned potatoes to the preheated air fryer basket and cook for 20 minutes. Serve immediately or prep in bulk for meal prepped leftovers.
- Please note that nutrition facts are an estimate and can vary widely based on amounts and specific types used.
Looking for more potato recipes?
- Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato
- Sweet Potato Egg Cups
- Instant Pot Cauli/Potato Mash
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas